Popliteal Artery Aneurysm

Popliteal artery aneurysm is bulging and weakness in the wall of the popliteal artery, which supplies blood to the knee joint, thigh and calf. A popliteal aneurysm can burst, which may cause life-threatening, uncontrolled bleeding. The aneurysm may also cause a blood clot, potentially requiring a leg amputation.

The cause of these aneurysms is unknown, but they are more common in older people and men and occur in both legs about 50% of the time.
  • Symptoms
  • Pain in lower leg

    • Occurs or worsens when walking

    • In one side

    • Rapidly developing

    • Pain started at toes and spread upwards

    • Relieved by elevation


    Swelling in lower leg

    • In both lower legs, One side


    Pulse measured on arms or legs is weak


    Cold hands or feet


    Unusual lightness of skin color


    Numbness or tingling in legs, feet, or buttocks

    • Rapidly developing

    • On one side of the lower extremities


    Back of the knee

    Thickened nails

    or Thinning or loss of hair anywhere

    • At lower extremities

    Pain in toes

    • Tip of toes

    or Open wound in lower leg or ankles

    or Open wound in bottom of foot

    or Darkening of skin in lower leg or foot

    Pain in the leg above the knee

    • Pain started at toes and spread upwards

    • Rapidly developing

    • Occurs or worsens when walking

    • In one thigh

  • Risk factors
  • Smoking

    High blood pressure disease

    • Resistant

    Balloon-like bulge in the aorta

    History of coronary artery disease

    or History of heart attack

    or High levels of fats in blood

    Diabetes mellitus

    Family history of Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm

  • Treatment
  • Surgery is generally required to treat popliteal aneurysms. Your surgeon will typically create a bypass around the area of the artery where the aneurysm is located. It's important for you to carefully control high blood pressure with medication, if necessary.
  • Recommended specialist
  • If you have Popliteal Artery Aneurysm, then visit a cardiovascular surgeon as soon as possible.

    Contact a

    Cardiovascular surgeon

    Copyright © Rimads 2023 All Rights Reserved